LDAP integration

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Thu Jan 11 21:08:05 UTC 2007

In <Pine.GSO.4.60.0701111201580.2433 at sploit.scriptkiddie.org>, Lamont Granquist <lamont at scriptkiddie.org> typed:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In <20070111035549.7c11a450 at vixen42>, Vulpes Velox <v.velox at vvelox.net> typed:
> >> LDAP is nice organizing across many systems, but if you are just
> >> dealing with one computer it is complete over kill for any thing.
> > In that situation, it's not merely overkill, it's may actually be a
> > bad idea. Can you say "AIX SDR"? How about "Windows registry"?
> And then you take the windows registry from 1,000 machines and cram them
> into a centralized database and try to manage the resultant mess.  I don't
> think this is a good solution.

The difference is that when a single machine crashes, you can use a
*different* machine to examine/fix the centralized database while
you're working on that machine.

If you just cram all the values into the central database, then you're
no better off than you would be with flat files on every host. If, on
the other hand, you organize the data in the database to reflect the
organization of the systems, you can leverage things to cut down on
the amount of work you have to do to propogate changes.

Someone else mentioned rsync, and that works fairly well, though I
prefer perforce. However, it's not quite as flexible - or as
convenient - as a database.

	<mike