Updated Driver for 3945ABG Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN controller

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sun Jan 7 15:52:33 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 14:35, Benjamin Close wrote:
> Massimo Lusetti wrote:
> > On 1/5/07, Max Laier <max at love2party.net> wrote:
> >> Thoughts?  Volunteers?
> >
> > I can say that the first attempt still running fine here on my laptop
> > on a -STABLE as of yesterday. I use it on a daily basis without any
> > glitch. I must say i don't do or tried to do nothing special or
> > network intensive job, but for reading emails, doing a lot of ssh and
> > http/https the drivers is working smoothly.
> >
> > I will try to compile this new one on my stable during the week end
> > and will see on Monday how it will perform on my office wi-lan.
> >
> > For the records: my wpi doesn't still work on OpenBSD-current cause
> > it's integrated and the switch used to turn it on seems an acpi one
> > which OpenBSD doesn't attach very well yet.
>
> Hi Folks,
>     I did the port as my searching led me to believe that progress on a
> driver had stagnated.
> Port 1: was done by Damien himself
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2006-July/008768.htm
>l) Port 2: was an updated version by Daminen:
> http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg58154.html
>             which seems to be duplicated here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/wpi/
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg20710.html)
> With version 2 being minor bug fixes to version 1 to try and get it
> working. Since then the driver has come a long way in netbsd with the
> FreeBSD version just getting older.
>
> To others working on a wpi driver, please post something indicating
> what you've done and even a sample of what your up to so we can one
> build one driver that just works. I also did the driver port as
> everything I found failed to work on a 64bit kernel, most the time
> wouldn't even compile.
>
> I'm happy to try and maintain this driver. I have the hardware.

Excellent!

> The main bugs I know about in this driver port are:
>
> * The use of the iee80211_amrr code
> The files exist in -current in /usr/src/sys/net80211 but the required
> symbols are not in a GENERIC kernel build. There is a wlan_amrr module
> which uses this code, though I'm not sure how to make use of this, it
> appears a simple dependency on the module is not enough. The use of the
> 80211_amrr code also means that use under -stable requires quite a bit
> more work as Rink pointed out.
>
>  * Bus resource allocation issues
> Mainly related to:  "bus_dmamem_alloc failed to align memory properly."
> I'm hoping Mike
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-June/026262.htm
>l) might be able to help resolve these.
>
> These allocation issues are caused while allocating of the rx & tx ring
> buffers - which if they are broken explain why things don't work.
> I'm still coming to grips to how the whole bus_dma_tag_create works.
> The Netbsd bus_dma_map_alloc seems much more intuitive.
> I've found if the module failed the first time, unloading it, then
> reloading it would often make the allocation issues disappear and the
> driver just work.
> Though I've also found sometimes that even though the allocation issues
> are reported, things still work, I'm guessing the alignment is pulled
> into line by higher levels of bus_dma.
>
> * ifconfig down causes timeouts reseting the tx ring
> I'm still chasing the cause of this. It seems non critical as the
> driver still works with an ifconfig up
>
> * Watch dog timer uses an obsolete interface
> I'm looking into the correct way to do watchdog timing

I have patches for iwi(4) somewhere and should finally get to doing
something with them ...

> * A lock order reversal in wpi_intr
> lock order reversal:
>  1st 0xffffffff812d9e20 wpi0 (network driver) @ if_wpi.c:1554
>   2nd 0xffffff003cee32f0 radix node head (radix node head) @
> net/route.c:147 KDB: stack backtrace:
>   db_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper+0x3a
>   witness_checkorder() at witness_checkorder+0x4f9
>   _mtx_lock_flags() at _mtx_lock_flags+0x75
>   rtalloc1() at rtalloc1+0x7a
>   arplookup() at arplookup+0x5c
>   arpintr() at arpintr+0x255
>   ether_demux() at ether_demux+0x2d3
>   ether_input() at ether_input+0x1e9
>   ieee80211_input() at ieee80211_input+0xd05
>   wpi_intr() at wpi_intr+0x9d7
>   ithread_loop() at ithread_loop+0xfe
>   fork_exit() at fork_exit+0xaa
>   fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
>   --- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffffffa0698d40, rbp = 0 ---

This one looks like the same issue as if_iwi.c, 1.43:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c#rev1.43

i.e. just drop the driver lock when calling back into the (net80211)
stack.  There is some discussion about how the "ic" is protected, but for
now dropping the lock is the right thing to do.

> For those wishing to help debug the driver and get it working, I've
> posted a new version
> http://www.clearchain.com/~benjsc/download/20070107-wpi-freebsd.tar.gz

Your box seems to have a reasonable uptime.  Is that right, or should I
continue to mirror your tarballs?

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org