Updated Driver for 3945ABG Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN controller

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Jan 5 16:32:42 UTC 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 16:58, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Max Laier wrote:
> > On Friday 05 January 2007 15:45, Benjamin Close wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>     After getting a new laptop I discovered being tied to a wire
> >> when your used to wireless is extremely annoying.
> >>
> >> Hence I've done a port of the NetBSD driver wpi (20070106 rev) for
> >> the Intel3945ABG wireless card to FreeBSD
> >> Many thanks to Damien for writing the NetBSD driver in the first
> >> place and the initial FreeBSD port which I referenced extensively.
> >>
> >> The driver is available at:
> >>

> >> http://www.clearchain.com/~benjsc/download/20070106-wpi-freebsd.tar.
> >>gz
> >>
> >> (dynamic dns host, so just retry later if it's down):
> >
> > Mirror'ed at: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/wpi_port/
> >
> >> Please let me know if you have any issues and I'll try to address
> >> them. I'm not sure how well it will work on -stable, I'm running
> >>
> >> FreeBSD wolf.clearchain.com 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Wed
> >> Dec 13 16:09:21 CST 2006
> >> benjsc at wolf.clearchain.com:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC  amd64
> >>
> >> and don't have a -stable machine for testing.
> >> Those not using -current, be sure to remove
> >>
> >> #define WPI_CURRENT
> >>
> >> in if_wpi.c before compiling.
> >>
> >> This email was sent through the driver :)
>
> While I'm really happy to see people working on this, isn't this a
> duplicated effort? This is at least the third attempt to get a wpi(4)
> driver on FreeBSD (and I'm sure two of them are based on Damien's
> driver). I might be missing something though.

Hence the extensive CC-list ... I'm trying to get all people involved to
talk to each other and coordinate.  From what I hear the other drivers
showed some problems regarding resource allocation - maybe this one does
better ...

I'm more than willing to shepherd one of these drivers into the tree, but
I'd need people with the actual hardware to say: "Yes it works" (for a
large enough fraction of cases) and possibly somebody to serve as a
maintainer willing to deal with PRs and stuff in the future.

Given that part one of this is fullfilled by either of the available
drivers - let's get something in and work from there.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org