SMP initialisation changes 6.1-PRERELEASE and 6.1-RELEASE?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 11:28:46 UTC 2007

Is anyone aware of any significant changes between 6.1-PRERELEASE
and 6.1-RELEASE which could cause and SMP kernel to hang when
initialising the CPU's?

I have a Tyan s2892 based machine here which has been running
6.1-PRELEASE happily for months, I finally got round to updating
to 6.1-RELEASE and it now just hangs. I've also tried 6.2-RC2
and the same high happens with that.

Also of note is that since updating to the latest BIOS on said
machine 2.03 from 2.0 I'm constantly seeing:
"calcru: runtime went backwards" messages from all processes
including idle.

    Steve