Progress on scaling of FreeBSD on 8 CPU systems

Jim C. Nasby decibel at decibel.org
Tue Feb 27 18:47:04 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 04:31:11PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Now that the goals of the SMPng project are complete, for the past
> year or more several of us have been working hard on profiling FreeBSD
> in various multiprocessor workloads, and looking for performance
> bottlenecks to be optimized.
>
> We have recently made significant progress on optimizing for MySQL
> running on an 8-core amd64 system. The graph of results may be found
> here:

I do *not* want to start a database war here, but I'm wondering if any
testing has been done with PostgreSQL? The reason I'm asking is that
there are some benchmarks that show MySQL falling off drastically with
increased concurrency:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/11/30/interesting-mysql-and-postgresql-benchmarks/

It would be interesting to see how the changes you've made stack up
using PostgreSQL as the benchmark.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel at decibel.org