a question regarding <sys/shm.h>

Pascal Hofstee caelian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:46:36 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:
> If we do decide to go ahead with the ABI change, there are a number of other
> things that should be done simultaneously, such as changing the uid and gid
> fields to uid_t and gid_t.  I would very much like to see the ABI change
> happen, and the first step (breaking out kernel from user structures) has been
> done already as part of the MAC work.  The next step is to add routines that
> translate internal/external formats, which isn't hard, but requires a moderate
> pile of code to do (as well as great care :-).

Well .. i finally found some spare time to have a closer look at the
"shm_segsz" issue ... and noticed there were actually a very limited
number of direct uses of the shm_segsz struct member (26 lines in the
entire /usr/src tree)

I have attached a patchset that should change shm_segsz to size_t.
There were however 2 to 3 locations all regarding compat code (ibcs2,
svr4 and COMPAT_43) where i opted to stay on the clear side and not
touch anything, the rest was fairly straightforward as should be
obvious from the diff. I checked to make sure no function prototypes
changed anywhere.

Please have a look at the attached patch (available at
http://callisto.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/shm_segsz-int2size_t.diff in
case the attachment gets stripped off by the mailinglist software) and
provide any feedback where appropriate.

--
  Pascal Hofstee