portupgrade O(n^m)?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Feb 14 17:41:33 UTC 2007

I have 734 ports installed on my laptop right now.  I'm pretty sure,
at times, I've had over 1000 ports on my laptop.

On machine with moderate numbers of ports (most servers seem to have
50 to 200 ports), portupgrade takes a moderate amount of time to start
work.  On machines like my laptop, portupgrade seems to take much more
time to run.  I assume it's solving the dependency graph before it
decides what to upgrade first, but is this truly a O(n^2) problem?  It
seems like the implemented algorithm is O(n^2).

Dave.