PING: Someone on the core team. (Modem Problem)

Daniel Rudy dr2867 at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 13 06:12:09 UTC 2007

At about the time of 2/9/2007 12:00 PM, Peter Jeremy stated the following:
> On 2007-Feb-09 10:27:07 -0800, Daniel Rudy <dr2867 at pacbell.net> wrote:
>> This very much does involve core because I plan on handing the modem,
>> and the entire computer if necessary, over to a core developer so they
>> can figure out why it doesn't work and correct the problem, if they can.
>
> This is a volunteer project.  You haven't bothered to work out how the
> project works, you won't provide the information requested and your
> attitude so far is hardly conducive to encouraging someone to assist.

I understand that, and my appologies if I offended anyone.  It's just
that I'm fustrated that after all the time that I spent researching this
problem that I cannot seem to find a solution on my own.

>> I am serious about getting this issue resolved because I'm under the
>> gun myself.  Furthermore, I don't have nearly the required knowledge of
>> how the kernel does things to even attempt to resolve the issue on my own.
>
> You could try http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/consult_bycat.html
>
>> irq 17, 18, and 19 do not show on the list.  Below is the full dmesg
>>from the boot:
>
> You could try disabling APIC.  Otherwise I'm still waiting to see the
> output from a verbose bot.

That would be a boot -v at the loader prompt, right?  I did post the
dmsg, but I'll get back to the list on the verbose boot.

>> And FreeBSD doesn't support shared interrupts, right?  (At least that
>> used to be the case, not sure about now).
>
> FreeBSD has supported shared interrupts for as long as I can remember.
> The ISA bus does not support shared interrupts but that is nothing to
> do with FreeBSD.
>
>>  If it does allow irq sharing,
>> then why isn't it working?
>
> Based on the information you have provided, your modem card is either
> broken or disabled (or possibly your motherboard/BIOS is broken).
>
>>  And if it doesn't support irq sharing, then
>> why is FreeBSD assigning 2 devices to the same irq to begin with?
>
> FreeBSD does support shared interrupts on busses that support them
> and is assigning interrupts based on information from the hardware.

As was stated by another individual, it seems that the sio driver does
not support shared interrupts, which seems to be he problem.  I'll go
that route first and see what happens.

--
Daniel Rudy