build /* only */ the required kernel modules

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 23:11:16 UTC 2007

Hi Hackers,
I'm stripping down my kernel, and I use the MODULES_OVERRIDE option in make.conf

Here's the question:
I need support for if_fwe and ng_bluetooth, but I can't find a way to
build /*ONLY*/ the required modules, instead of building
/*EVERYTHING*/ under firewire/ and under netgraph/

Adding "netgraph/bluetooth" and "firewire/fwe" in the MODULES_OVERRIDE
list won't build the parent netgraph and firewire modules, but adding
"netgraph" and "firewire" will build lots of unneeded and unwanted
modules.

Example:
>  find /boot/kernel/ -name "ng_*" | wc -l
58

when, /sys/modules/netgraph/bluetooth/Makefile just lists 8 modules as
dependencies.

How could I get rid of the ~50 unneeded modules?

Same thing for firewire, where unneeded if_fwip, sbp and sbp_targ are
also built, along with firewire and if_fwe.

Thanx in advance,

--
Pietro Cerutti
ICQ: 117293691