pkg_upgrade (was Re: pkg_add does not backtrack, does it?)

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:37:43 UTC 2007

Kip Macy wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
>
> >I know what I'd like: a utility in the base system for binary upgrading
> >of packages. More flexible logic in how the '-r' option is handled would
> >be nice (being able to fetch all packages from All/ even if you are
> >on RELENG). Doesn't
> >
> >freebsd-update fetch install && pkg_upgrade -a
> >
> >look nice for keeping up to date? The obvious hairy details must be
> >harder than it seems, I'm sure others have considered it (and would have
> >done it) before.
>
> portupgrade -aPP

Requires a fully populated /usr/ports together with an up-to-date INDEX.

Not exactly what we are looking for here. I hacked together an ugly
shell script, that will use pkg_version (it can grab the INDEX from the
pkg-site via ftp) and gives you the feature to pkg_delete/pkg_add
selected packages.

It is missing a lot of other stuff, though.

Ulrich Spoerlein