Trying to join an already exited pthread

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 21:36:51 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, youshi10 at u.washington.edu <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Just wondering:
>
> If I was to try and join a pthread that already exited, would there be an error message output and/or errno set to an error value, or would a system hang?

man pthread_join(3):

ERRORS
     The pthread_join() function will fail if:
     [EINVAL]           The implementation has detected that the value speci-
                        fied by thread does not refer to a joinable thread.

A pthread that already exited is considered non-joinable

> It this variable on Unix OSes?

 The pthread_join() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996
     (``POSIX.1'').

--
Pietro Cerutti
ICQ: 117293691