UFS2 version of ffsrecov.

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Feb 5 16:28:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 12:27 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Frank Mayhar wrote:
> > No, I'm not looking for one, I'm releasing one.  This is a heavily
> > modified version of John-Mark Gurney's ffsrecov, adapted to use libufs
> > and to work (only) with UFS2 file systems.  I call it ffs2recov and it
> > is available at
> > 	http://www.exit.com/Archives/FreeBSD/ffs2recov.tar.bz2
> Can it undelete files on a working file system?

Heh, I figured someone would ask that question.  The answer is, for the
most part, no, it can't.  When you delete a file the directory entry is
freed; ffs2recov doesn't know how to recover it and in fact it may not
_be_ recoverable.  If it is at all, fsdb might be your best bet.  On the
other hand, you might also shoot your own foot off. :-)
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/