printing boot probe messages

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Dec 31 19:54:03 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:13:53PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>during booting is to call out a verbose boot.  If I do that, then the boot
>messages DO print during booting, and examination afterwards shows a big
>file (~ 60K in size).  This happens if I use /boot.config==-v, or if I
>enter option #5 to the beastie menu, or even if I call out a manual loader
>run, and enter boot -v at the prompt.
>
>If I do none of those things, it will not print boot messages.

This doesn't really make sense because the only difference is code like
     if (bootverbose)
        printf("Lots more detail\n");
and there shouldn't be any side-effects.

> After
>booting, if I do a "dmesg > dm" then the resulting file is only about 10k
>in size, and things like the enormous pci probing don't show up.

That makes sense.

>  At this
>moment, I'm in a boot that wasn't printed, and I just got a 0 back from a
>"sysctl debug.bootverbose"

That is also correct.

>Right now, I moved my /boot.config to /notboot.config.  My loader.conf is
>
>boot_mute="NO"

I think this is your problem.  The kernel doesn't look at the value of
the environment variable, just whether or not it is set.  Try removing
or commenting out this line and check for other occurrences of "boot_mute"

>verbose_loading="YES"

verbose_loading is different to boot_verbose.  The former makes the forth
boot loader more verbose, the latter is passed onto the kernel and makes
it more verbose.

>Sure.  "sysctl debug.boothowto" returns -2147418112, any idea what that
>means?

It's a bitmask of values defined in <sys/reboot.h>
-2147418112 == 0x80010000 == RB_BOOTINFO | RB_MUTE

The "RB_MUTE" explains the lack of console messages and is caused by
the boot_mute="NO" in your kenv output.  Other than that, the kenv
all looks reasonable.

--
Peter Jeremy