quest for USB only mouse operation

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Fri Dec 28 15:52:22 PST 2007

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Callum Gibson wrote:

> On 28Dec07 14:09, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
>>> Ok, as far as I can tell you want a moused on ums, but not psm.
> }It seems to me that it gets confusing, depending on how rc.conf is
> }set on startup, but from dmesg output that seems to be the case:
> }kv_bsd# dmesg | grep psm
> }psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> }psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> }psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
> }kv_bsd# dmesg | grep ums
> }ums0: vendor 0x2222 Macally Optigo USB Mouse, rev 1.10/6.30, addr 2, iclass
> }3/1
> }ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
>
> Those are just devices, not moused's. If you "ps axw | grep moused" you
> can see the moused processes, one for each device.

i understand that, but i was giving this information to beat the dead
horse about the fact that psm0 for lack of a better guess is the touchpad,
while the information on ums0 matches brandnames printed on my USB mouse
(in addition to it being labeled "USB")

here is an online photo album with 3 pictures showing this information:

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/mousie/index.vhtml

in case yer interested  {:)

>>> BTW, are you testing this at the console rather than in X11? Get it
>>> working
>>> there first, as there are additional settings which could affect things
>>> once you start X.
> }gnome fires up on startup.. umm.. i have to control backspace out or
> }something?  {:P i am a little newbie-ish on some of this stuff, sorry.
>
> My replies will be a bit sporadic now - got to have breakfast and get on
> with the day.
>
> Ok, let's determine that there is only one moused running to start with
> using the ps method above and worry about X later. If you can get it down
> to one moused at boot you will be half way there. If you find the touchpad
> still operates after that, then X is going to the psm device direct.

oh jeez

kv_bsd# ps axw | grep moused
   957  ??  Ss     0:01.58 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0
  1066  p1  RV     0:00.00 grep moused (csh)
kv_bsd#

i just realized that the mice are currently working correctly..

{:/ but this has happened before..

kv_bsd# head -12 /etc/rc.conf

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sun Dec  2 03:03:56 2007
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sun Dec  2 10:47:16 2007
# Created: Sun Dec  2 10:47:16 2007
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_psm0_port="/dev/null"
#moused_port="/dev/ums0"
#moused_type="auto"
kv_bsd#

it's probably fine that you are going to go sporadic on me for
the moment because i don't feel like rebooting at the moment.