printing boot probe messages

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Dec 20 23:56:49 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 05:48:18PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I've lost the printing of all of th e messages you normally see, when you are
> booting yoiur machine (you know, mostly probe messages.  I used to see them on
> this box. When I made my first kernel, I had begun (obviously, as we all do)
> with GENERIC as a base, but changing the first loaders.hints and the kernel,
> that's the last I saw of booting messages.
>
> To illustrate what I *do* see, I watch the first character of that little
> spiller, but only the very first char, because that's when it stops working,
> right after sicking the first char.  Thbe nest thing I see, maybe 30 seconds
> later, is a Login: request.

Sounds like your console is configured to a different device.
Maybe it is configured to serial while you are waiting on vga.

> Any notion what I could do to get my booting messages back?

Switch the console to the device you are looking at.
You can easily check the configured console by running conscontrol.
Maybe you've lost the device hint for your console device to flag
it as beeing a possible console candidate.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de