Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Tue Dec 11 09:01:18 PST 2007

"Tom Wickline" <twickline at gmail.com>, thread to all:
	freebsd-chat at freebsd.org,
	freebsd-emulation at freebsd.org,
	freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org,
	freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
	freebsd-user-groups at freebsd.org,
Trimmed to just hackers at .
  (Though finding just where cross posting policy is deprecated in
   http://freebsd.org's own searcher, is not easy).

Braulio wrote:
> You can find the story of what happened in the Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
   "... originally released Wine under the same MIT License as the X
   Window System, but owing to concern about proprietary versions
   of Wine not contributing their changes back to the core project,
   work as of March 2002 has used the LGPL"

Brett wrote:
>  "...WINE project, not long ago, abandoned"

2002 or recent ?   Are we considering real old news ?

Braulio wrote:
> http://www.cedega.com/rewind/

	cd /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/emulators
	echo #wine* # linux-winetools wine wine-doors
	more *wine*/pkg-descr

If a wine user who doesnt like GPL, creates & uses send-pr for eg
  	emulators/wine-rewind
it could divorce lists from debating licence issue :-)

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.