Port recompomile causes recursive cycle in make process

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Dec 6 16:54:27 PST 2007

I have 7.0 BETA3 machine upgraded from 6.2 with no ports installed.

When I (cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3 && make) after a while I get an error:
<...skipped...>
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating inputproto.rc
make: Max recursion level (500) exceded.: Resource temporarily unavailable
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/inputproto.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/libX11.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kde3.
<the end>

When I look at the log above the place of failure I see that
x11/inputproto-1.4.2.1 fails to find automake:
automake-1.8: not found.
and also same thing about autoconf that's not found.
And after complaining make keeps calling inputproto build again.

I believe autoconf and automake are supposed to only be called when the source
tgz is generated. And when the port is compiled only configure script is
supposed to be run. It's supposed to read in Makefile.in files an to write out
Makefile files. And that's it, no automake/autoconf during port compile. Am I right?

Is this a bug in port make files? Or in this port itself?
Seems to me the bug is in FreeBSD port makefile since in case of failure make
shouldn't relaunch that same port again.

Yuri