Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Dec 2 10:25:26 PST 2007

Yuri wrote:
> I am trying to run Linux version of Skype and am getting the following error:
> /usr/home/yuri/skype/current/skype: error while loading shared libraries:
> /usr/lib/librt.so.1: ELF file OS ABI
>
> File /usr/lib/librt.so.1 is FreeBSD library and
> /usr/compat/linux/lib/librt.so.1 is Linux library with the same name
> installed by linux_base-fc-4_10.
>
> My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /usr/compat/linux/lib:/usr/compat/linux/usr/lib.
>
> Why FreeBSD version is being picked up even though it's not
> in LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

You've gotten some good suggestions, but I might add one more, I don't
think it's been mentioned.  I have foound, myself in the last 2 weeks,
some FreeBSD ports putting in Linux tools, installing stuff in the wrong
places, like sticking in SYSV libraries in /usr/local/lib instead of
/compat/linux/usr/lib.  I verified in that case that the Linux ldconfig
didn't find the library, before I manually moved the library to the
/compat path, and reran the linux ldconfig.  I can't remember, for sure
right now, which port it was, but I think it was a Linux browser.  I
remember the action, and that moving the libs (several different ones)
did fix the problem.  If you can't find the lirary using the Linux
ldconfig (and remember that it uses different parameters to search
with), then you need to find where the libs are actually stuck, and make
sure the place makes sense.  Sticking SYSV libs into a directory full of
BSD libs doesn't make thje best sense, I think.

But I could be wrong on that, I haven't yet got enough experience with
the Linux emulation to make certain.  This seems to me sense with what I
read in the handbook regarding the Linux emulation.