cvs: how to put vendor-deleted file into Attic?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Aug 7 00:25:00 PDT 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Xin LI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While maintaining some third party contributed software packages I
> ran into a problem where, say, if I remove a file from the vendor
> branch (the file was never dragged off the vendor branch), it does
> not appear in Attic.
>
> Is there a way to move it into Attic (presumably this would give
> better checkout speed for -HEAD)?
>
> Cheers,

The way you do this is:

cvs checkout -r1.1.1 contrib/whatever
cvs rm files
cvs commit

This puts the deletion on the 1.1.1 "vendor" branch.  HEAD picks it up
automatically, and if the file becomes "alive" again in the future,
HEAD continues to track it.  And there is metadata recorded to track
when it was deleted and came back alive etc.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com