IBM / FreeBSD Install problem

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Thu Apr 19 00:53:10 UTC 2007

Server: IBM X3850 (88633SM)
CPU X 4: 40K2522
HDD X 6: 40K1051
IBM ServeRAID 8i: 39R8729

We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto this machine and
are running into a problem getting the operating system to recognise the
RAID controller. As a result not finding any disks when it comes to
installing the O/S.

We have attempted various modifications to the boot process, including
the loading of an "aac" module, which according to the BSD website,
should provide support for this type of controller.

When we attempt to boot to OS to install after making these above
modifications, the boot loader advises that this module already appears
to be loaded, which contradicts what I believe. In any respect, it
doesn't work either way (with or without the module manually loaded).

One side note (which i don't think is contributing) is that when I
attempt to start the boot loader with ACPI enabled, it freezes with the
message "cpu id 38 too high". However if I boot the boot loader with
ACPI disabled, this message dissapears. It _may_ be a possibility that a
bi-product of disabling the ACPI is causing the RAID controller to have
issues. This appears to be an issue because of the X4 CPU count ??

That's a quick summary of the problem we have, and the path(s) we have
been down to date to attempt to fix it. Any help you can provide would
be very much appreciated. We are at the position now where we are
prepared to pay for consulting services to get it going.

Dave Faulkner / Murray Taylor

Bytecraft Systems

takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
--Albert Einstein
The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.