a simple patch to enable RFC2640 for /usr/libexec/ftpd

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Wed Apr 18 07:15:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 04:43:32PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:37 +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> > On Monday 16 April 2007 21:24, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > > Pieter de Goeje ??????:
> > > >
> > > Original author of lukemftp? I never used that software before, but
> > > would be glad to try as next option and see if I can patch that too.
> >
> > lukemftp is the former name of tnftp, which is known in
> > FreeBSD as the native ftp client and server. So it would
> > be better to send your pathes directly to them, Luke Mewburn
> > or the NetBSD project.
> >
> > http://freshmeat.net/projects/tnftp/
>
> Okay, now I got it, so /usr/libexec/ftpd is
> simply /usr/libexec/lukemftpd's copy or reconfigured version.

       Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say
       "Ni" at will to old ladies.  There is a pestilence upon this
       land! nothing is sacred.  Even those who arrange and design
       shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this
       point in time.

		-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

In fact, it's tnftpd (aka, lukemftpd) that is a "copy or reconfigured
version". :-)

We still stick to the original BSD version of ftpd because it has
much less configuration knobs, which means less opportunities for
errors and security implications in simple scenarios.  FreeBSD ftpd
is also believed to perform better than tnftpd when all you need
is to serve a bunch of files to the public w/o fine-grained access
controls or data rate limits.

Nevertheless, an imported version of tnftpd is also available in the
base system as /usr/libexec/lukemftpd for more complex cases so that
FreeBSD users don't need to install hairy ftpd ports unless they have
really peculiar needs.

--
Yar