RFI: Ethernet driver ported from Linux

Alan Garfield alan at fromorbit.com
Wed Apr 18 01:00:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:16 +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> > In addition to the other advise, you might also look at if_ed.c.  It
> > is a little complicated since it talks to real hardware, and that
> > hardware is, ummm, a little icky.
>
> That little thing Alan is writing a driver for should be simpler
> and clearer than the ed(4) hw, so Alan's driver will be a source
> of knowledge itself when it's complete. :-)  It can be a good
> companion for if_edsc, as the latter doesn't work with hardware at
> all and fails to illustrate some important points due to that.

Thanks for your comments. :)

I just wish I could figure out what all this rtrequest/arp stuff was
about so I could finish it. :)

If anyone wants to look at the code just pop me an email. It's based on
a GPL driver (although there isn't anything really left of it other than
#defines and a few comments, the code is all new) so I don't know how/if
I can get it added to FreeBSD HEAD.

Anyway, back to figuring out arp. UGH!

-A.