RFI: Ethernet driver ported from Linux

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Tue Apr 17 17:16:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:23:00PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <1176096815.4064.6.camel at hiro.auspc.com.au>
>             Alan Garfield <alan at fromorbit.com> writes:
> : I'd like to port/re-write this driver for FreeBSD but I cannot find
> : enough documentation and examples of a basic Ethernet driver for
> : FreeBSD. (if_wlan and if_ef look like good candidates but if_clone and
> : the miibus confuse me a bit and there isn't any clear docs on them)
> :
> : Can someone point me in the direction of an example or the relevant man
> : pages I should be reading to help with this.
> :
> : The device driver for Linux seems quite simple.
> :
> : Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> In addition to the other advise, you might also look at if_ed.c.  It
> is a little complicated since it talks to real hardware, and that
> hardware is, ummm, a little icky.

That little thing Alan is writing a driver for should be simpler
and clearer than the ed(4) hw, so Alan's driver will be a source
of knowledge itself when it's complete. :-)  It can be a good
companion for if_edsc, as the latter doesn't work with hardware at
all and fails to illustrate some important points due to that.

--
Yar