Device sysctl confusion..

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Apr 16 03:06:06 UTC 2007

I am trying to automatically generate a description for a given device (eg
what it's connected to) but I am having trouble with umass.

The other disks I have tried (acd, ad, twed) all have dev.name.number sysctl
nodes but umass disks seem to be inconsistently named.

For example they appear in kern.disks as daX but the corresponding sysctl tree
is dev.umass.X.

I can add some code to handle it but it would be nice if it were fixed (if it
really is broken :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum