Gaim log writing delays the system

Alejandro Pulver alepulver at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 14 22:19:26 UTC 2007

Hello.

I have enabled logging in Gaim, and when a chat message arrives and it
is logged the disk writing delays (freezes) the system for less than a
second, it can be noticed for example with XMMS which does a strange
sound during that period.

I think this problem is related to the system and not the port, that's
why I asked here. Also I guess more information is needed about this,
like ktrace/truss output of Gaim together with kernel statistics
(vmstat/iostat). But other than ktrace, I don't use them. What would be
the commands to get the most relevant information about this?

I am using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, and the boot message is here (the file
dmesg_machine_2.txt):

http://people.freebsd.org/~alepulver/disk-crash.tar.bz2

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale

P.S.: please CC me as I'm not subscribed.