High disk load +mount/atacontrol/NFS/SMBFS crashes the system

Alejandro Pulver alepulver at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 14 21:47:39 UTC 2007

Hello.

I have experienced the following problem a couple of times in 2
different machines and FreeBSD versions (see below): when the disk is
continuously reading/writing (like when copying/extracting a file,
checking the filesystem in the background, etc.) my system crashes
sometimes (it's not an everyday thing, but quite frustrating when it
happens).

When copying from another machine by NFS/SMBFS more than one file at
the same time (or when using the disk, like described above) often
crashes (and the disk light indicator turns off). Running "atacontrol
ad0 mode UDMA100" when it was UDMA133 crashed the system (the disk
activity indicator was always on) when I tried to solve the problem
that way. Also when I was installing a port which installs many files
on the second machine without using NFS/SMBFS, trying to mount a local
NTFS filesystem (with kernel driver) crashed.

The first machine is an Athlon XP 2400+ with FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and
custom kernel (see below) and the second one a new Athlon64 X2 3500
with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE running in i386 mode, with generic SMP kernel.
See the boot messages and kernel config here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~alepulver/disk-crash.tar.bz2

Also I got (only twice, when checking the filesystem after one of these
crashes) the following error on the first machine, that I don't know if
it's related or not to the previous problems:

fsync: giving up on dirty
0xc51d6990: tag devfs, type VCHR
    usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 806 mountedhere 0xc51a4000
        flags ()
	    v_object 0xc144cb58 ref 0 pages 3232
	         lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xc54e2c00 (pid 837)
		         dev ad2s1f

I would appreciate any help. If you need more information just ask.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ale

P.S.: please CC me as I'm not subscribed.