any plans to enhance 'locate'?

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net
Fri Apr 13 06:28:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any plans to enhance the locate
command. As you know, Linux slocate is storing file owner/perm
info into database and it is able to show all files when the
user is root compared to FreeBSD locate where you can only search
files which can be listed by nobody user.

I realized that this comes very handy when I am looking for
certain files if I can see the files owned by root 'only' when
I am root.

Is there a reason why there is no port for slocate or the FreeBSD
locate to not to be enhanced this way?

There seems to be a port for this for Mac OS X:
http://slocate.darwinports.com/dports/sysutils/slocate/

There are people trying to do workarounds:
http://freebsd.munk.me.uk/archives/207-Let-root-see-all-files-with-locate.html

Thanks,
Evren