Email recommendations

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Tue Oct 31 05:00:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, October 30, 2006 4:51 pm, tech at nano.net wrote:
> I get a LOT of corrupt mailboxes. Just 187 mailboxes and daily
> problems. It's always the same error in the log files: "-ERR Unable to
> process From lines (envelopes), change recognition modes."
>
> I've done some research and don't know any more about where the
> problem lives than I did before. I know that some From: lines are
> missing the colon, but I don't know why. Can anyone recommend a more
> forgiving popper or MTA? I'm running QPOP 2.53 and Sendmail 8.13.6.

If this is your own server, I'd recommend switching to Postfix and
using Maildir for message storage.  The problem with mbox format
message stores is that only 1 process can be writing to the file,
which stores *all* messages for a folder.  If you are receiving a new
message while deleting an existing one, all kinds of nasty things can
happen.

If you need POP3 (I'd recommend going with IMAP instead) then look at
Courier, Dovecot, or Cyrus.  They provide nice, fast, stable,
Maildir-support with POP3 and IMAP daemons that access the same
folders.
----
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net