Yeah, but what does it mean? [Was: Re: File trees: the deeper, the weirder]

freebsd at bitfreak.org freebsd at bitfreak.org
Sun Oct 29 18:51:35 UTC 2006

This has bugged me for a long time and I guess my morning coffee hasn't
kicked enough for me to let it go today.  It's not documented anywhere
that I can find and that includes a grep of all src and man pages.
Google and Ask just give the "What is vnlru?" page in a handful of
languages, a whole bunch of calcru errors and various chatter about
vnode-related system slowness.  It's not even in a comment in vfs_subr.c!

What does vnlru stand for?  VNode List Recycling Unit?  Someone please
tell me.  I lost Deep Thought's email address, so I'm a bit stuck.