src.conf(5) seems to affect ports build

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 21 10:30:25 PDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 06:26:35PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Ruslan,
>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:13:32PM +0400, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 05:08:48PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > src.conf(5) manual page states:
> > >
> > > % The src.conf file contains settings that will apply to every build
> > > % involving the FreeBSD source tree; see build(7).
> > > % ...
> > > % The only purpose of src.conf is to control the compilation of the FreeBSD
> > > % sources, which are usually found in /usr/src.
> > >
> > > However, share/mk/bsd.port.mk includes <bsd.own.mk> which in turn includes
> > > /etc/src.conf.  Therefore if I have some WITH_/WITHOUT_ knob in it
> > > which affects CFLAGS, they will be taken into account even for port builds.
> > >
> > > Is it the expected behaviour ?  Maybe WITH(OUT)_ should simply avoid
> > > modifying CFLAGS (though I think this might become useful in the near
> > > future).
> > >
> > See if the attached patch helps.  If it does, I'll commit.  I've
> > never heard back on this patch after I sent it to obrien at .
>
> This patch works correctly.  Would you explain me why assigning
> /dev/null to _SRCCONF don't work in the current version of bsd.port.mk ?

1) It's spelled SRCCONF.
2) Even if spelled correctly, setting it to /dev/null doesn't prevent
   MK_* variables to be set to their default values:

	cd /usr/src && make showconfig SRCCONF=/dev/null

> Also, your patch avoids performing the WITH(OUT)_* stuff for ports in
> order to prevent from polluting the namespace.  If there is to be
> some WITH(OUT)_* knobs which leads to CFLAGS modification in the future
> (I'm thinking about ProPolice with the upcoming GCC 4.1), wouldn't it
> be worth benefiting this framework for ports ?

It avoids only /etc/src.conf stuff when running bsd.port.mk; if you put
WITH(OUT)_* in /etc/make.conf it will still be picked up.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org