Fscking a partition mounted Read only...

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu_bsd at zeninc.net
Mon Oct 16 01:15:59 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:49:04AM +0200, VANHULLEBUS Yvan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:57:58PM -0500, Rick C. Petty wrote:
[fscking a RO partition]
> > Grr, I meant 4.x not 5.x, and I thought the problem started about the time
> > bg fsck was introduced...
>
> Right: I just tried on a FreeBSD 4.11, and I can fsck a partition
> which has just been remounted RO.
>

> Could it be interesting (and quite safe !) to recompile 4.X's fsck
> under FreeBSD6 and do the test again on FreeBSD 6 ?

4.X's fsck doesn't compile directly on FreeBSD 6.....

But I had a quick look at setup.c in both versions (this is the
location of the "NO WRITE ACCESS" error), and looks like there is
exactly the same code in both versions, except the background flag
test in FreeBSD6 (which does not change anything, as I am NOT using
that flag).

Is this a bug "somewhere" in the kernel ?

Shall I run fsck with the background flag in my situation (but it will
still have no write access, it just won't generate the output message) ?

Yvan.

--
NETASQ
http://www.netasq.com