Tracing binaries statically linked against vulnerable libs

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Fri Oct 6 06:42:21 PDT 2006

Hello,

The thing I would do with known applications that are linked statically
to a vulnerable version of ${Application} is bumping the version of the
port.

Why do i do that? If ffmpeg in this case is being updated and the
PORTREVISION of gstreamer as well, people get informed that they should
update, I would also mark it vulnerable (the version with the lower
PORTREVISION) so that people are "forced" to reinstall the application
which causes the link to reoccur with hopefully the fixed version.

We did that with xpdf as well as far as i can recall. and yes that was
like hell, but it has to be done to protect our user base.

Does this give enough hands and feeds to help you?

Cheers,
remko
--
Kind regards,