Survey on Video Capture API: BSD meteor(4) vs. Video for Linux 1/2

sbahra at kerneled.org sbahra at kerneled.org
Wed Oct 4 12:51:38 PDT 2006

[...]

> MPlayer supports both kinds of API's. But to gain Linux ybinary
> compatibility for FreeBSD, V4L/V4L2 must be introduced to FreeBSD.

I think it is wiser to provide an in-kernel API which is far more
comprehensive. I suggest you take a look at the VideoBSD project that
jmg@ was working on. I was working on a V4L port at one time, the fact
is, with regards to the compatibility it is wiser just to provide V4L
functionality through user-space stubs or a thin compatibility layer.
V4L itself provides no real benefit to driver developers other than
the fact that they have standardized values for some ioctl requests
and the various data types that are exported.
Dianora (db at db) was working on some user-space stubs for V4L as well
iirc. From the user-space perspective it is obviously a benefit to
support though.

Regards.
--
Samy Al Bahra