bpf kernel module

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Nov 15 13:56:54 UTC 2006

Garrett Cooper wrote:
 > Something else I should have mentioned. Statically building components
 > into the kernel makes operation faster overall,

I don't think there's a measurable difference in speed.

 > but increases the
 > required memory for your machine, whereas using modules is more
 > expensive time-wise, but you can load portions of the kernel piece by
 > piece, instead of load the entire kernel into main memory.

In the case discussed here (bpf), memory is not an issue,
because the bpf module -- if it existed -- would have to
be loaded permanently anyway, or otherwise pflogd wouldn't
work.  In fact, a kernel module requires a small amount of
additional memory, compared to the same code compiled
statically into the kernel.  It's not a big deal, though.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman