Ramdisk support

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 15 13:35:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 05:25:36PM +0530, Aditya Godbole wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> >Aditya Godbole wrote:
> > > Is there any ramdisk support in freebsd, as there is in netbsd?
> > > What are the alternatives if I want to mount a root filesytem from ram?
> >
> >You mean a diskless setup?  I think there's a detailed
> >description of diskless setups in the FreeBSD Handbook.
> >You might also want to look at the diskless(8) manpage.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I was looking for something like initrd support of Linux or the
> mdsetimage of NetBSD.
> I have no disc or network card support for my hardware at the moment.

Well, how are you going to boot your system without a disk and
network then?  We support disk booting, and diskless (network)
booting, also support CD-ROM and floppy booting.  What of these
do you need?

Like others have said, we can load kernels with an embedded root
filesystem image; the image can either be read-write or read-only;
in the latter case, it can also be compressed with geom_uzip(4).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org