Fwd: FreeBSD on DVD

grodzix grodzix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 21:32:22 UTC 2006

Hello,

I thought first about the same but I came to conclusion that there is
no really need for it. As far as I know the aim is to provide you
basic framework which you can customize as you like. The first CD is
more than you need to have fully runable FreeBSD system and second is
basically only KDE. There is problem with Linux for which downloading
and installin some programs that need lots of dependencies is
horrible, so they simply put everything on huge DVD to make it
possible to use for average user. On FreeBSD installing programs is
much easier, automatic and done for you if you use ports or packages.

It should also be also easier to mainstain and release new versions of
FreeBSD in two CD containging just the neccesery tools than taking
care of few gigs of apps with each release, and theese releases are
much more often than those of Linux.

It' just my personal opinion so the official intention may be quite different.

Regards,

Rafal Grodzinski