bpf kernel module

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 14 14:36:02 UTC 2006

Vlad GURDIGA wrote:
 > I'm trying to keep very close touch with 6.1_STABLE cvsupping sources
 > once a week or even more often.

You mean RELENG_6_1?  I don't think that makes sense,
because not many changes happen to that branch.  You
should only cvsup if necessary, i.e. when a security
fix (or otherwise critical fix) has been committed to
that branch.

 > I'm thinking of removing as much as
 > possible devices from the kernel loading them from /boot/loader.conf
 > instead,

Personally I don't think it's worth the effort.  I keep
most stuff static inside a big kernel.

 > so I could rebuild and install them without a whole
 > kernel/world rebuild and reboot when sources change. I'm not sure this
 > is a correct way, any piece of advice regarding this would be highly
 > appreciated. :)

When you update your sources, the recommended and official
way is to rebuild everything (kernel, modules, world) and
reboot.  Omitting any of these steps _might_ work under
certain circumstances, but it can also break in various
ways (either horribly or subtly, whichever creates the
most damage, according to Murphy's law).

 > So, I've successfully done that with sound and network card drivers,
 > but did not succeed with removing bpf from the kernel. Booting a
 > kernel with no bpf support, and with
 > ng_bpf_load="YES" in my loader.conf [which, I found on the questions
 > list that is not what I need], the pflogd fails to start with this
 > error:

There's currently no kernel module for the bpf(4) device,
so you have to put it statically in your kernel if you need
it.  ng_bpf is a netgraph node driver, it doesn't implement
/dev/bpf* devices, so it's not what you're looking for.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie