Asymmetric ethernet throughput?

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Wed May 31 13:43:14 PDT 2006

In <20060530230253.GW800 at silverwraith.com>, Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com> typed:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 04:42:12PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Well, it makes the throughput closer to symmetric when I'm pushing
> > traffic both ways - but at around 7MB/sec. If I only run traffic in
> > one direction, I get the previous behavior.
> I might like to suggest that the problem is your RealTek NIC.
> Those NICs so utterly suck (I have 2, before anyone thinks I'm bashing
> without cause :).

Nope, that's not it. I get the same behavior from an Intel
PRO/1000. And if that were the problem, I'd see it no matter what
hosts I connect to, but if I make the other end a FreeBSD 6.1 box, I
get a near-full pipe in both direction.

> They're fine for light home use (and well priced for that). Never expect
> consistancy or line speed from them though.

This one came on the motherboard. I was using the intel until I needed
to bridge it, and the rl bridging code worked where the em code
didn't.

	<mike