Asymmetric ethernet throughput?

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Tue May 30 13:42:21 PDT 2006

In <1225.141.218.159.32.1149020799.squirrel at www.foolishgames.com>, Lucas Holt <luke at foolishgames.com> typed:
> Does disabling net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable make any difference?  I've
> noticed strange transfer speed differences between a samba server on
> freebsd 6.1 and OS 10.4.6 clients and Windows.
>
> With these set in /etc/sysctl.conf, I can get reasonable speeds on both
> the macs and windows box.
> net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
> net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=0

Well, it makes the throughput closer to symmetric when I'm pushing
traffic both ways - but at around 7MB/sec. If I only run traffic in
one direction, I get the previous behavior.

I tried it from the 6.1 system to the 5.5 system. It's not quite so
out of whack - 2:1 instead of 3:1 - but those two sysctls don't make
any difference.

	Thanks,
	<mike