kldfind

Ricardo A. Reis ricardo_bsd at yahoo.com.br
Tue May 16 16:54:10 PDT 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:51:15 -0300, Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:

> Am 16.05.2006 um 23:15 schrieb Ricardo A. Reis:
>
>> I writed one script for find freebsd kernel modules,
>> [ricardo at myfreebsd:~/kldfind] # ./kldfind -h
>>    -c    --      find all matchs for category
>>    -s    --      string match
>> http://ricardo.epm.br/freebsd/script/
>
> It's a nice little script, but I think it can be improved in a few
> aspects. Just off the top of my head:

   Thanks,

> Exit codes: plase see sysexits(3) for a number of well-defined exit
> codes and their meanings. If your script is invoked with the -c or -s
> switch, but no search term was provided, help() will exit with 0;
> EX_USAGE (64) would be more appropriate.

   I readed  sysexits() and replace  the return code for help().

> Options handling: FreeBSD (and Posix) provide getopt(1) for options
> processing; while your script doesn't use options as such (-c, -h, and
> -s are really sub-commands, not options here), it's probably worthwile
> to use the standard functionality anyway.

   About getopt a resolved not use, this a little script with 3 sub-commands
getopts is necessary for include one program in src ?

> Functionality: inside the loop in search(), the sleep is superflous.
> Also, using exit inside the loop will terminate the script.  With the
> current construction, only the first component of the KLD search path
> will ever be searched.  It is debatable whether not finding any matching
> modules should be an error.

   Sorry for this, i add exit codes after writed man, now i change exit per
return.

> Output format: there's no easy way to post-process the search results
> with a script.  A pretty print version of the output is nice, but for a
> system utility, the default should be something that can be easily
> post-processed with another script.

   Is possible pre-formate output with output() using printf/awk.

   I update http://ricardo.epm.br/freebsd/script/kldfind/kldfind-v051

   Thanks again,

   Ricardo A. Reis
   UNIFESP