misc questions about the device&driver arch

Wallace William avalonwallace at gmail.com
Sat May 6 07:46:18 UTC 2006

I have seen this in the freebsd 5 road map,have the hotplug of pci already
merged into the RELENG_5 branch?

PCI resource allocation: PC2003 compliance requires that x86 systems no
longer configure PCI devices from the system BIOS, leaving this task solely
to the OS. FreeBSD must gain the ability to manage and allocate PCI memory
resources on its own. Implementing this should take into account cardbus,
PCI-HotPlug, and laptop dock station requirements. This feature will become
increasingly critical through the lifetime of RELENG_5, and therefore is a
requirement for the RELENG_5 branch.

On Thursday 10 November 2005 05:48 am, kylin wrote:
> Sir ,i am still puzzled by the windows and freebsd arch similar.
> 1
> the window TPS say that windwo allocate the resource window in default
> size of 1M or 2M,so there may be hole ,does that happen in freebsd 5
> or 6?

No.

> 2
> in my view i believe that freebsd us the "just enough "tactics,so
> the nexus level of resource view is ===continuous====with NO hole in
> a boot up system, IF hot remove do not happen .am i right?

Sorta. We actually will use whatever the BIOS uses by default. We only try
to alloc resources if the BIOS doesn't, and I'm not sure how we handle a
bridge running out of resources. I think we might just fail the allocation.