Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue May 2 10:23:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-May-01 18:01:01 -0400, Allen wrote:
>Man I would LOVE to find a good sun box. Nothing huge, just a box I can use to
>toy with Solaris and oldschool stuff like early SunOS.

This won't be one box.  Sun hardware and software has undergone a lot of
churn over the years and you will need to find a box to suit the SunOS
or Solaris version that you want to run.

> Just want at least one UNIX box in the house.

*BSD is Unix in all but branding.  Or you can run Solaris 10 on a PC.

>> Well.. Sun at some point took 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 into the Solaris naming
>> scheme.  Just confusing to a lot of people.
>
>Software naming has always been a pain ;)

Especially when the marketing people get involved...

--
Peter Jeremy