Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Mon May 1 22:07:28 UTC 2006

Jamie Bowden wrote:
> SunOS 4.1.4 (aka Solaris 1.1.?(1 maybe?  It's been a long time now.))
> was the final release of SunOS 4.  It was basically 4.1.3_U1 with a
> couple of other minor fixes merged in.  I spent a very long time
> porting software from SunOS  4 to Solaris 2.3|4|5 during that time as
> we transitioned from our older Sun4c|m based servers and hosts to
> Sun4u (which of course only ran Solaris 2.5 and beyond (or Solaris 4
> with patches, but those weren't general release and outside of Sun and
> Pixar, I don't know anyone who had access to these)).
>
> Jamie Bowden
> --
> "It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
> Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"
> Iain Bowen <alaric at alaric.org.uk>

Well I bought the system for $30 used through a company I worked for.
They often bought equipment at auctions.  This system came from a large
pharmaceutical  company with the drive still intact.  I used the OS on
it for several months.  It was an old Sun SparcStation IPC (or ipx?).
It only had a floppy drive and netbsd was installable with boot floppies
and ftp.  The system died on me about 2 years ago and I just bought a
newer system on ebay.  It was quite easy to change the root password.
In sun os you just booted to single user.  With solaris you can do it
with a netbsd floppy :)

Luke