Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers.102a7e at mired.org
Mon May 1 18:29:45 UTC 2006

In <20060501180745.GC19342 at freebie.xs4all.nl>, Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> typed:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:23:40PM +0000, Maslan wrote..
> > >
> > >Wrong.  Solaris is SysV with some BSD bits tacked on.
> > >
> > >DES
> > >--
> > >Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no
> > >

> > That's right, but sunos (earlier than solaris) was based on bsd.
> > www : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunos
>
> Be specific:  SunOS 3.x and 4.x are BSD.  The later ones are called
> Solaris 1.x IIRC
> Solaris 2.x also calls itself SunOS, just take a close look at the boot
> messages.  It is as DES already pointed out a SysV derivative

SunOS 5.x was the OS. Solaris 2.x was the OS plus the windowing
system. So when you booted a system running Solaris 2.x, you were
greated with SunOS 5.x banenrs. Common usage was that SunOS 5 systems
were called "Solaris", and SunOS 4 systems were called SunOS,
regardless of how Sun labelled the distribution media.

> wikipedia stinks too often to be taken as gospel...

The entry for Solaris largely agrees with my recollection of
events. It's been long enough that I'm a bit hazy on the details, but
there's nothing in it I know to be wrong.

	<mike