Boot manager beep (revisited)

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon May 1 12:22:57 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-05-01 03:29, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:15:44PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>> I'd certainly prefer it if the beep was turned *off* by default,
>>> but I'm not sure if that's what everyone prefers.  This is why I
>>> opted for keeping the current behavior and making my personal
>>> preference an option :)
>> i do prefer it off.
>> and my laptop has no volume control available at boot.
>> many new laptops have everything in software, which means
>> very little controls available at boot time.
>
> I know the feeling.  The lack of a control in my laptop was what
> initially prompted me to look at ways to turn it off :)

Me too.  I have no way to turn it off in the BIOS.

Does having a beep at the boot prompt really help out those who are
visually impaired?  Seem that there are 100 other hurdles that would
make that pretty much useless in the end.  As far as headless booting,
the beep is nice, but could be an optional loader.conf tweak that
enables a kernel beep instead, right?  I have lots of headless machines,
and a beep is barely heard over the roar of thousands of hard drives and
many tens of tons of AC rumbling.

Maybe an alternate option is to compile both the beeping and a beepless
boot loader, and have the boot0cfg program install the right one
depending on a command line option?  Hmm.. Maybe that's too cheesy..

Eric