Boot manager beep (revisited)

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon May 1 09:31:40 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2006-04-30 22:34, Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:
>

>>This thread:
>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-December/020572.html
>>
>>mentions a patch to disable the boot manager beep, and also
>>discusses having it optional.
>>
>Does something like the following sound reasonable (I haven't had a
>chance to run this through a build-test, so use with care).  The
>default behavior should be to *include* a beep, but it can be turned
>off by setting WITHOUT_BOOTEASY_BEEP in `/etc/src.conf'.

I have a very similar patch which I pulled from somewhere not long after
switching to 5.4.  That wrapped the beep inside #ifdef SIO (which I
assumed was something standard, but don't know) so that you got a beep
with a serial console and not without.

I can see the advantage of the beep when running headless, but for
anything with a console the beep just seems like something out of the
1970s.  My vote (fwiw) would be to reverse the logic and have
WITH_BOOTEASY_BEEP so that it's off by default unless you turn it on
with the option *or* if you have a serial console (assuming that SIO is
something standard).

At the same time I also patched so that NTFS filesystem was recognised
as "DOS", to get rid of the ?? on standard dual-boot Win/FreeBSD
machines.  For me, this still comes in under 512 bytes, though I don't
know by how much since the make process seems to pad to 512 bytes.  The
?? has been a recurring "complaint" and the fix was easy enough and
"works for me" (TM).

--Alex