Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Allen slackwarewolf at comcast.net
Mon May 1 00:33:22 UTC 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 5:15 pm, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:09:29AM +0300, Iantcho Vassilev wrote..
>
> > Hello guys,
> >

> > in bsdnews.com i found this link http://kerneltrap.org/node/6506 and
> > particulary this:
> >
> > "I claim that Mach people (and apparently FreeBSD) are incompetent
> > idiots. Playing games with VM is bad. memory copies are _also_ bad, but
> > quite frankly, memory copies often have _less_ downside than VM games,
> > and bigger caches will only continue to drive that point home."
> >
> > What do you think about it?

I've known for quite some time that things like this are said. One thing no
one points out is how Linus is actually a fan of BSD. Sometimes things he
says are mis quoted though.

If you watch Revolution OS, Linus points out that his main thing for doing
Linux was that he wanted something like he had used at the university he was
at and he says it was SunOS. Sun OS / Solaris, are straight BSD.

For info on where I get this, get the movie "20 years of Berkeley UNIX". I own
that and Revolution OS, Linus Loves BSD even though he's sometimes mis quoted
or even joking.

-Allen A Linux and BSD and BeOS user.