cloning a FreeBSD HDD

Patrick Tracanelli eksffa at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Wed Mar 29 13:14:22 UTC 2006

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 14:34, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>>dump + restore is slow but reliabe.
>

> Faster than dd for disks that aren't full :)
>
> It also gives you a defrag as well as allowing you to change FS options.

Yes, pretty much faster for non-full disks, even compared to paralell
dd(1). And we always have the "-L" option to snapshot and dump(1) from
live file systems, what makes it an interesting and completly viable
choice to clone the disks in multiuser mode (no need to go single user).

It is my choice to copy a disk into one other. It is even possible to
copy a disk to a slower one (again, if the source is not full and if the
dst disk have enough space to store all data currently in use in the
source disk), and better (customizable new partitions) results when
copying to a larger second disk, when compared to dd(1).

--
Patrick Tracanelli

FreeBSD Brasil LTDA.
(31) 3281-9633 / 3281-3547