Programs not accepting input?

Frank B. Scholl frank.b.scholl at web.de
Mon Mar 27 09:21:09 UTC 2006

hello,

i followed this discussion so far and wondered what your techniques are to have your running programs accepting input again. in my case, this phenomenon heavily depends on the windowmanager you chose. when being on fluxbox and having a running instance of firefox, it every once in a while refuses keyboard input. i have had this with other gtk apps, too, for example sylpheed.

to circumvent the problem and getting your application back to accept further keyboard input, i just switch workspaces back and forth and thats it, no matter on what windowmanager i am working. i never have desktops running, mostly isolated gtk apps, but from subjective experience i can tell that people running full blown gnome desktops, dont have such problems. as well as it does not seem to happen with qt apps for me. obviously, some windowmanagers dont deliver input correctly or some gtk apps have a problem with receiving a certain kind of message type.

frank