Programs not accepting input?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 27 00:59:17 UTC 2006

On Sunday, 26 March 2006 at  1:36:57 -0600, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 05:50:09PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> In the last month or two I've seen increasing occurrences of programs
>> refusing keyboard input after they've been running for a while
>> (between hours and days).  They still respond to the mouse.  At first
>> I thought it was hardware, but it happens on a number of different
>> machines, and only with certain programs, all of them X clients.
>
> <snip>
>
>> One thing that the machines have in common is that they all run x2x
>
> I noticed very similar problems on both 5.4-stable and 6.0-RELEASE
> boxes running xorg.  I've never used x2x, but I was running x11vnc,
> which I ended up assuming was the culprit.  It's a really strange
> behavior-- I would have two rxvts side-by-side, one accepting
> keyboard input and the other I had to cut/paste text using the
> mouse.  It was even more frustrating when it would happen in gaim &
> mozilla windows!  The same gaim process wouldn't accept keyboard
> input in the conversation window but the buddy window did responded
> to commands (e.g. control-A brought up the accounts window).

Yes, this sounds quite close to what I'm experiencing.

On Sunday, 26 March 2006 at 15:43:07 -0600, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:17:19PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> Is the problem that the clients aren't taking focus or have focus
>> but aren't accepting keyboard input?
>
> My problem wasn't about focus.  I know the window had input focus (my
> settings change the border color for focused windows), but the keyboard
> events weren't accepted by certain clients.

Same here.  As mentioned in the original message, I can use the mouse
to open a new window under firefox.  The new window will accept
keyboard input, the old one won't.  It's almost as if it's deadlocking
on input.

Reminder: my final question was "how do I go about debugging this
problem?".

Greg